Section K: School/Community Relations
Policy Title: Parental Involvement in Education
Policy Code: KB
Print Version (in PDF)
Purpose of Policy
The Superintendent, in consultation with parents, staff, teachers, administrators, and community members shall develop procedures for parental involvement in the school(s) and District resource programs that support the education of Tucson Unified School District students. These procedures shall focus on the importance of communication between the District and parents and shall provide opportunities for parents to participate in school activities, volunteer, and observe classroom activities.
For the purposes of this section, parent means the natural or adoptive parent or legal guardian of a minor child.
Parental Involvement Procedures
These parental involvement procedures shall include:
- A procedure for parent participation in the school designed to improve parent and teacher communication and cooperation in such areas as homework, attendance, and discipline. This plan shall be developed with involvement and agreement from parents and schools shall distribute these written documents to all parents.
- A procedure by which parents may learn more about the course of study for their children and review learning material, including the source of any supplemental educational materials.
- A procedure to prohibit sex education instruction to a student unless the student's parent provides written permission for the child to participate in the sex education curricula.
- A procedure to notify parents in advance of and to be given the opportunity to withdraw their children from any instruction or presentation regarding sexuality in courses other than formal sex education curricula.
- A procedure for parents to learn about the nature and purpose of clubs and activities that are part of the school curriculum, extracurricular clubs, and activities that have been approved by the school.
- A procedure for parents to learn about parental rights and responsibilities under the laws of this state. (See: Exhibit KB-E2 - Parent's Bill of Rights)
- A procedure designed to involve parents in the specific Title I programs/activities found at each elementary and middle school site and within the targeted assisted groups of students at the high school level.
- A procedure designed to involve parents in the integration of the Title I programs with all other programs found at each school site.
- A procedure to involve parents in the planning, review, and improvement of Title I programs through activities that include an annual review of the Title I programs.
- A procedure to increase the level of support for new parents to the District and a procedure to support all families.
- A procedure by which parents who object to any learning materials or activity on the basis that it is harmful may withdraw their children from the activity or from the class or program in which the material is used. Objection to a learning material or activity on the basis that it is harmful includes objection to a material or activity because it questions beliefs or practices in sex, morality, or religion.
Site Inspection of Resumes
Resumes of all current and former instructional personnel shall be maintained and available for inspection of parents and guardians of pupils enrolled. The resume shall include individual educational and teaching background and experience in a particular academic content subject area. (See Exhibit KB-E1 - Resume Outline)
Adopted: October 12, 2004
Revised: April 12, 2005
Revised: June 28, 2011
Reviewed: April 29, 2019