To declare and create the Tucson Unified School District Employee Benefit Trust ("EBT" or "Trust") for the purpose of establishing and maintaining the Trust Fund ("Fund").
The express purposes and primary objectives of the Trust are:
- To establish and maintain a program of providing and maintaining health and welfare benefits for employees of the School District, and for certain eligible members of their families;
- To serve as self-insurance within and according to the provisions of A.R.S. § 15-382;
- To pay for costs of training designed to reduce losses and claims, the cost of related employee benefits related to the administration of the Trust;
- To pay for uninsured losses, claims, and defense costs related to the administration of the Trust;
- To pay for costs of administration and related expenses; whether through self-funded or insured programs or both;
- To reimburse the Trustees for any other expenses necessarily or properly incurred by them in the performance of their duties under this Trust Agreement; and
- To empower the Trustees to enter into contracts, procure insurance policies, or provide such benefits through self-funding, and to place into effect and maintain the desirable Schedule of Benefits.
The foregoing expressions of purpose are not exhaustive and, in addition to other related objectives reasonably inferred from that list, that the Trust shall have such other objectives as may be lawful under Arizona law.
Declaration of Trust (PDF)
- The Trustees shall hold, manage, care for and keep the Fund and collect the income and increments thereof, and shall keep and maintain adequate and proper records to render an annual audit, accounting and reports as hereinafter mentioned.
- The Trustees shall employ or hire such agents, attorneys, accountants, actuaries, employees or other persons, and may lease premises and equipment, as may be necessary or desirable in administering the Fund and carrying out its purposes. The fees, salaries, wages, emoluments or compensation of any and all such persons shall be paid from the Fund.
- Any risk management consultant or insurance administrator employed by the Trustees shall be licensed under A.R.S. §20-281, et. seq., or §20-485, et. seq., and shall provide evidence of its license to the Trustees.
- When acting upon the advice of counsel for the Trust, the Trustees shall be relieved of all responsibility for actions undertaken in good faith.
- The Trustees may pay any and all taxes of whatsoever nature the Fund is or may be obligated to pay, and incur any expenses for supplies, rental of space, or other items or anything else believed to be necessary or desirable in administering the Fund and carrying out the objects and purposes of this Trust and Trust Agreement.
- The Trustees shall have all right, power and authority to do all those things which, in the opinion of the Trustees may be necessary or desirable for the administration and operation of and accomplishments of the objects and purposes of the Fund and this Trust and Trust Agreement.
- And are appointed by the Tucson Unified School District Governing Board.
- Employee Benefits Trust shall operate under conditions of the Open Meeting Law, A.R.S. 38-431 and 38-431.01.
- The EBT shall be governed by the legal EBT Document.
- EBT Trustees shall be bonded as outlined in the Trust document.
As a qualification of continued service, each Trustee must be bonded, pursuant to A.R.S § 15-382(C). Bond premiums for Trustees shall be paid for by the Trust Fund.
- Health Benefits or Financial background
- Excellent communication skills
- Critical thinking related to fiduciary responsibility of the Trust and recommendations to the Governing Board
- Ability to read and understand TUSD operation and financial statements
- Knowledge of legal compliance
- Familiarity with Budgeting
- Understanding of how health care providers work and how they are paid
- Rational in thought and supportive of the District
Applications now accepted for vacancy on EBT
Applications are now being accepted for a vacancy on the Employee Benefits Trust. This is a volunteer position.
Application - Print version (in PDF) | Online Application Form available below
All applications shall include:
- The application form: Print version in PDF or Online Version, below
- a resumé
- 3 references to include the reference name and contact information
- a letter of intent that describes the applicant's interest in working with this volunteer committee, and
- a letter certifying that the applicant has no material financial or immediate family relationship with current Tucson Unified School District staff or vendors.
Applications are due as soon as possible.
You may submit your application in any of the following ways:
- Hand-delivered to:
Governing Board Office in the Morrow Education Center at 1010 E. 10th Street, Building A
- Mailed to:
Tucson Unified School District Governing Board
Morrow Education Center
1010 E. 10th Street
Tucson, Arizona 85719
- Emailed to Yolanda Pena
Community EBT Trustees will be selected and approved as soon as possible at an open meeting of the Governing Board.