Public Concerns and Complaints Regulation

Section K: School/Community Relations

Regulation Title: Public Concerns and Complaints
Regulation Code: KE-R

Print Version (in PDF)

Informal Resolution

Most complaints can be resolved by informal discussions between the complainant and the staff members.  Should the matter not be resolved, the principal or administrator shall attempt to resolve the issue through a conference with the complainant.

In the event that resolution is not achieved, appropriate regional assistant superintendent or head department administrator should be contacted. The regional assistant superintendent or head department administrator will work with the administrator and the complainant to find a resolution.

(Note:  allegations of unlawful discrimination will be processed according to the procedures in  AC – Discrimination and AC-R established for that purpose.)

Formal Complaint Process

The following procedures apply to the processing of a complaint, which cannot be resolved in the manner described above.

The individual or group of individuals shall submit a written explanatory statement (KE-E – Public Concern and Complaint Form) to the immediate supervisor of the District employee(s) involved where a problem has occurred. 

Within 10 school days after the written statement is received the immediate supervisor will notify the complainant that the complaint has been received and by when the review will be completed.  Within 30 school days, the immediate supervisor shall complete a review of the matter, shall request a written response from the employee(s) involved and shall issue a written determination, which shall be delivered, to the complainant and the district employee.

Appeal of Written Determination

A complainant who is dissatisfied with the determination of the immediate supervisor has the right to appeal the matter in writing to the next administrative level. The supervisor shall identify in writing for the complainant the next administrative level appeal. If the decision at the next administrative level fails to resolve the matter the complainant may seek resolution by appealing the matter in writing to the Superintendent or his designee. The decision of the Superintendent or designee is final.

Reviewed: November 9, 2004
Revised: September 26, 2019

Flow Chart for Conflict Resolution