Section J - Students
Regulation Title: Hazing
Regulation Code: JICFA-R
Print Version (in PDF)
A person who reports or complains regarding hazing may report or complain directly to the school administrator or to a professional staff member. The professional staff member receiving the report/complaint shall retrieve sufficient detail from the person to complete the form designated for such purpose. At a minimum the report/complaint shall be put in writing containing the identifying information on the complainant and such specificity of names, places and times as to permit an investigation to be carried out. When a professional staff member receives the information, the staff member will transmit a report to the school administrator or supervising administrator not later than the next school day following the day the staff member receives the report/complaint.
The report/complaint will be investigated by the school administrator or a supervising administrator.Investigating administrators should keep in mind that a complaint of hazing, may also include a violation of the Governing Board’s policies of nondiscrimination based on disability, race, color, religion/religious beliefs, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or national origin. Investigations of complaints that may be discrimination and/or discriminatory harassment shall be conducted in accordance with the procedures described in Regulation AC-R – Discrimination Complaint Procedure.
For hazing complaints that are not discrimination or discriminatory harassment, the procedures to be followed are:
- An investigation of the reported incident or activity shall be made within ten (10) school days when school is in session or within fifteen (15) days during which the school offices are open for business when school is not in session. Extension of the time line may only be by necessity as determined by the Superintendent.
- The investigator shall meet with the person who reported/complained at or before the end of the time period and shall discuss the conclusions and actions to be taken as a result of the investigation. Confidentiality of records and student information shall be observed in the process of making such a report.
- The investigator shall prepare a written report of the findings and a copy of the report shall be provided to the Superintendent.
- A written report of findings shall be provided to the complainant.
- Where disciplinary action is necessary, District policies shall be followed.
Adopted: October 5, 2004
Revised: September 26, 2019