Student Admissions Regulation

Section J - Students

Regulation Title:
Regulation Code: JF-R

Print Version (in PDF)

Primary School Responsibilities

  • Verifies, documents and maintains residency records of each student.
  • Maintains, retains and manages the students’ electronic, demographic data, health records, and cumulative file.
  • Manages the FTE count of the student. 
  • Tracks the eligibility of all classes for interscholastic play.
  • Provides all IEP/504 services.
Proof of Age Requirements
The parent/guardian enrolling a student (except homeless students) in a TUSD school for the first time will be asked to produce one (1) of the following proofs.
  • A certified copy of the child’s birth certificate.
  • Other reliable proof of the student’s identity and age (must include birth date), including the student’s baptismal certificate, passport, a stamped application for a Social Security number, I94 with Federal stamp stating refugee status, or original school registration records, and an affidavit explaining the inability to provide the birth certificate.
  • A letter from the authorized representative of an agency having custody of the student (pursuant to statute) certifying that the student has been placed in the custody of the agency as prescribed by law.
The school will retain in the student’s file a photocopy of the documentation presented.

The parent, guardian, or surrogate will be given thirty (30) days to provide documentation requested as listed above.  If documentation is not provided within 30 days, a certified letter will be sent to notify the parent, guardian, or surrogate that unless the documentation is provided within ten (10) days, the local law enforcement agency will be notified.  All documentation including notices to local law enforcement shall be maintained in the student's cum folder.

The school district must immediately report to the local law enforcement authorities any documents used to enroll a student that appear to be inaccurate or suspicious in form or content.

Legal Custody and Residence

A student resides with the person who has legal custody of the student.  A person has “legal custody” of a minor student only if the custody is:
  • Exercised by the natural or adoptive parent with whom the student resides, or
  • Granted by a court of competent jurisdiction to the adult with whom the student resides, or
  • Military Power of Attorney with a copy of the “Order of Deployment.”
The District will not accept a notarized letter, temporary custody form, or power of attorney as creating or transferring legal custody or guardianship. A notarized letter or power of attorney is acceptable if the document is to confirm that legal or physical custody of a minor student has been transferred from one parent to the other parent of the student.

If a student resides with a family member or other adult who is seeking legal guardianship or custody through an uncontested guardianship or custody proceeding that has been commenced in state superior court, the student’s residency may be deemed to be the residency of the family member or adult.  The family member or adult must provide proof of the proceeding within 30 days of enrollment and documentation of guardianship or custody once obtained.

A parent or legal guardian must provide one (1) proof of residency to establish a person’s residence in a designated attendance area, the District’s boundaries or the State. This documentation must be reaffirmed during the district’s annual registration process and must be maintained according to the school district’s records retention schedule.

A person can prove his or her physical residence by submitting an original of one of the following documents that indicates the person’s name and address:

  • Valid Arizona Driver’s license, Arizona identification card
  • Valid Arizona motor vehicle registration
  • Property deed
  • Mortgage documents
  • Property tax bill
  • Rental agreement or lease (including Section 8 agreement)
  • Utility bill (water, electric, gas, cable, phone)
  • Bank or credit card statement
  • W-2 wage statement
  • Payroll stub
  • Certificate of tribal enrollment or other identification issued by a recognized Indian tribe
  • Other documentation from a state, tribal, or federal agency (Social Security
Administration, Veterans’ Administration, Arizona Department of Economic Security)

If a parent or legal guardian does not maintain his or her own residence, the parent or legal guardian must complete and sign a form indicating his or her name, the name of the school district, and school site in which the student is being enrolled, and submit a signed, notarized affidavit bearing the name and address of the person who maintains the residence where the student lives, attesting to the fact that the student resides at that address, along with a document from the bulleted list above bearing the name and address of the person who maintains the residence. The affidavit is found in JF-R-E1.

Documentation is subject to audit.  Personally identifiable information other than name and address (SSN, account numbers, etc.) should be redacted from the documentation either by parent/legal guardian or school official prior to filing.

The school will retain in the student’s cumulative folder a photocopy of the documentation presented. A school may at any time require updated proof of residency.

Student Name
The school will register a student under the student’s legal name.  A student’s legal name is the name given at birth, as indicated on the student’s birth certificate or other reliable proof of the student’s legal name. 

Consistent with Policy ACD, the district will honor a student’s request to use a chosen name that reflects their identity.  Upon being notified by the student of a chosen name different from their legal name, the district will promptly update all student records to reflect the student’s chosen name, with the exception of any records that are required by law to match the student’s legal name.

Joint Technological Education District (JTED) admission
  • Students must be enrolled at their primary school fulltime (4 classes), to be admitted into JTED.
  • Students who drop from their primary school must be dropped from JTED and/or other ancillary school.
Student Records
  • Transfer Student
Within five (5) days after enrolling a transfer student, a District school must request directly from the student's previous school a certified copy of the student's permanent student education records.
  • Dual Enrollment Student
The primary school of a TUSD student enrolled at two schools will manage all records, but will release the on-line information regarding the student to the ancillary school upon registration.
  • JTED Student
    • The primary school of a Tucson Unified School District student enrolled in JTED Satellite classes at one or more ancillary Tucson Unified School District high school campuses will manage all records, but will release the on-line information regarding the student to the ancillary school upon registration.
    • The primary school/school district of an out-of-district student enrolled in JTED Satellite classes within Tucson Unified School District will manage all permanent file records with the exception of the standard registration documentation acquired by Tucson Unified School District during the student's JTED Satellite Course registration process.
 Exceptional Education Records
During the registration process, the registrar (or other staff member completing the registration) will ask the parent or legal guardian if the student has previously received special education services or needs accommodation for a disability.  The registrar should use sufficient care when inquiring about previous special education services to ensure that the parent or legal guardian understands that “special education services” include any services previously provided pursuant to the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act.  If the parent or legal guardian indicates that the student has received special education services, the registrar will:
  • Seek to obtain sufficient information regarding the nature of the disability, the period when services were provided, and the school that provided the services to obtain any special education records of the student; and
  • Notify the school psychologist immediately.
Any record received from the student’s previous school that contains information about special education will be promptly given to the school psychologist.

A student’s residency will determine whether the student must pay tuition to attend a District school.  If the student is a minor (less than 18 years of age), the student’s residency is the residency of the person who has legal custody of the student.  If the student is an adult (18 years of age or older), the student’s residency is the student’s physical place of residence.  Tuition will be charged according to the following guidelines:

With regard to the admission of students who may reside outside of the Untied States, school officials should not inquire about the immigration status of the student or the student’s parents.  School officials may ask where a student’s parent or guardian resides to determine whether the person with legal custody is a resident of the District or the state.  In compliance with federal law, school officials should not ask whether the student or the student’s parent is a citizen or permanent resident of the United States. 

Non-Enrolled Student Visitors
As a general rule, children will not be permitted to attend or visit classes if they are not enrolled as students in the class or the school.  The school principal may grant brief exceptions for a child whose participation in a class will enrich the learning of enrolled students.  All visits by non-enrolled student visitors must be scheduled in advance and approved by the school principal.

Exchange and Other Foreign Students
The District will admit on a tuition-free basis foreign exchange student(s) in federally designated programs recognized by the US State Department – Council on Standards for International Educational Travel. If space is available, the District will admit other foreign students upon payment of reasonable tuition. The District will issue an I-20 form visa for one year to be approved at the US Embassy in the student’s home country if the student will enroll in any grade 9 through 12.

The following guidelines apply to admission of exchange and other foreign students:
  • Each school may admit only one student participant from any one given exchange program, unless space is available.
  • The foreign exchange agencies only allow one year of enrollment, but the student could leave the US and return as an I-20 student making it a two-year enrollment.
  • Schools will consider admission of exchange and other foreign students on a space available basis.  Upon admission, student(s) will be screened to determine appropriate placement.
  • Exchange and other foreign students must comply with all policies and regulations governing the conduct of District students.  Failure to comply could cause termination of the exchange or I-20 visa.
  • Every exchange and other foreign student must maintain passing grades in all subjects and a satisfactory attendance record.  Foreign student(s) on F-1 or J-1 visas must make normal progress toward graduation.  Students wishing a diploma must meet all requirements for graduation.  Policy # IKF – Graduation Requirements

Reviewed:     July 27, 2007 (Friday Report)
Revised:        May 4, 2012 (Friday Report)
Revised:        April 20, 2022 [copy to SLT]

Legal Ref:    

A.R.S. 15-823 – Admission; Residents of Other School District; Non-residents                                               of this State; Tuition;
A.R.S. 15-802 (B)    School instruction; exceptions; violations; classification; definitions

Cross Ref:   
Policy ACD – Non-Discrimination and Gender Identity

Policy IKF – Graduation Requirementsv