Section J - Students
Policy Title: Student Absences and Excuses
Policy Code: JH
Print Version (in PDF)
The regular school attendance of a child of school age is required by state law. Regular school attendance is essential for success in school; therefore, absences shall be excused only for necessary and important reasons. Such reasons include illness, bereavement, other family emergencies, and observance of major religious holidays of the family's faith.
In the event of a necessary absence known in advance, the parent is expected to inform the school; if the absence is caused by emergency, such as illness, the parent is expected to telephone the school office. When a student returns to school following any absence, a note of explanation from the parent is required.
When Absent from School
State law mandates that the school record reasons for all student absences. Therefore, when a student is absent, it will be necessary for the parent to call the school on or before the day of the absence in order to advise the school as to the reason for the absence. When it is impossible to call on the day of the absence, the school should be notified on the morning the student returns, in time for the student to obtain an admission slip prior to the student's first class. All absences not verified by parental or administrative authorization will remain unexcused.
If a parent does not have access to a phone, either at home or at work, a note will be accepted for verification purposes.
For absences greater than one (1) day in length, the school should be notified each day of the absence.
All personnel will solicit cooperation from parents in the matter of school attendance and punctuality, particularly in regard to the following:
- The scheduling of medical and dental appointments after school hours except in cases of emergency.
- The scheduling of family vacations during school vacation and recess periods
The school may require an appointment card or a letter from a hospital or clinic when the parent has not notified the school of an appointment of a medical or dental nature.
School administrators are authorized to excuse students from school for necessary and justifiable reasons.
Instructional classes requiring participation in activities outside the normal school day (i.e. performances) will follow these guidelines:
- A parental excuse will allow for a student to miss an activity outside the school day. The instructor must receive notification prior to the event.
- There will be no loss of credit for a student with an excused absence from the activity, although additional school work may be required to receive credit. Any homework must be completed within the timeline specified by the instructor.
- A student with two conflicting school events at the same time will inform the instructors of the issue. The student will negotiate with the instructors regarding the events and the attendance. The student will not lose credit for the event in which the student chooses not to participate.
Adopted: July 24, 2007
Revised: May 13, 2008 (Redesignation of Policy Code No.—previously coded as IHB)
Revised: November 22, 2011 (Change of policy title and content)
CROSS REF: Policy # JE – Student Attendance