Section B: Board Governance and Operations
Policy Title: Security at Board Meetings
Policy Code: BBAB
Print Version (in PDF)
Board Policy on Security at Board Meetings
With the exception of executive sessions, all Board meetings are open to the public and public participation is welcomed. Persons attending Board meetings will not be allowed to interfere with the peaceful and lawful conduct of the meeting. The following rules shall be followed.
- All persons and their belongings are subject to a search for weapons prior to entering a Board meeting. Any weapons found will be returned to the owner to secure them off District Property or in certain cases School Safety screeners may hold the item and notify law enforcement. Any person who refuses to consent to a search for weapons will be denied entry to the Board meeting.
- All weapons including firearms, knives, destructive devices, and dangerous instruments as determined by school safety are prohibited from any Board meeting. This rule shall not apply to:
- Members of any law enforcement agency
- Persons who have been authorized by the appropriate District personnel to carry a weapon
- Members of the public shall be seated in the chairs provided and will not be permitted to stand or sit in aisles or pass through areas.
- When seating capacity is reached, no additional persons shall be permitted to enter the Board meeting until seats become available.
- Members of the public may participate in Call to the Audience by submitting a complete card to Board Staff. The President calls the names of each person signed up for Call to the Audience. No one may speak to the Board without being called on by the President.
- At the discretion of the Board President or the Superintendent, any person attending a Board meeting is subject to removal for failing to comply with warnings or directions about inappropriate conduct. Threatening, intimidating or disorderly conduct may result in immediate removal.
- A safety zone in front of the main entrance to any Board meeting will be established to allow egress and ingress for emergency services, School Safety, and emergency evacuation of the meeting. This zone restriction shall not apply to a person or person(s) in continual movement across the zone area.
Adopted: October 25, 2011