Section K: School/Community Relations
Regulation Title: Guidelines for Distribution or Display of Communications
Regulation Code: KHCA-R
Print Version (in PDF)
Guidelines for Distribution or Display of Communications
In order that communication of school related organizations are distributed or displayed fairly and without creating an excessive burden on the District and its staff, the District and school related organizations will adhere to the following guidelines:
- School related organizations are encouraged to review these guidelines and their application and if necessary, discuss with the Director of School Community Services before the school related organization produces its communication. The organization should also review with the Director of School Community Services the lead time necessary for each school to review and distribute the communication.
- Distribution of communications of school related organizations will occur by inclusion of the communication among the school materials that are given to students to read or deliver to their parents/guardians weekly or at other intervals.
- Display of a communication will occur by placing the materials in a location designated by the District or its school for students and parents/guardians to obtain such materials.
- School related organizations are not authorized to directly distribute communications to students or parents/guardians on school grounds without approval of the school principal.
- School related organizations are responsible for the cost of printing and bundling all communications.
- The District and its schools may restrict distribution of communications of school related organizations to specific times of the school year or to postpone distribution of communication of school related organizations. School related organizations assume the risk that school will not distribute time sensitive communications on or before a desired date.
- Communications must prominently display a telephone number for the school related organization so that parents or guardians who wish additional information can obtain information directly from the organization. Likewise, communications that include a registration form must prominently display the mailing address of the school related organization so that the parent/guardian will mail the form directly to the organization.
- The District and its schools will not distribute or display communications of school related organizations that, in the judgment of the Director of School Community Services would:
- Cause the District to violate state or federal laws or its policies.
- Promote illegal activity for minors.
- Promote illegal discrimination on the basis of gender, race, sexual orientation, religion, national origin or ethnicity, or disability.
- Contain words, symbols or images that would be regarded as lewd, obscene, vulgar or plainly offensive if communicated by a student on school grounds.
- Defame a person or organization.
- Threaten a serious disruption of a school, the educational process, or school sponsored activity.
- Communications of school related organization will not include promotional or other materials of non school related organization, unless the promotional or other materials are an integral part of an activity of the school related organization.
- School related organizations are encouraged to distribute or display versions of promotional materials in the languages spoken by the families of students who attend the school.
- School related organizations are encouraged to offer scholarships or subsidized fees to low income families if fees are required for participation of students or their parents/guardians.
Reviewed: March 1, 2013 (Friday Report)
Cross Ref: KHC-R - Guidelines for Distribution/Display of Promotional Materials