Section G: Personnel
Policy Title: Professional Staff Hiring at Richey Charter School
Policy Code: GCF
Print Version (in PDF)
District Charter Schools follow the Tucson Unified School District Governing Board Policies for Charter School Personnel.
It shall be the policy of the District to employ and retain the best qualified personnel at its Charter Schools. This will be accomplished by giving careful consideration to qualifications and by providing competitive salary schedules within the financial capability of the District, adequate facilities, and good working conditions.
The Board has the legal responsibility of approving the employment of Charter School professional employees. The Human Resources Department has the responsibility for the recruitment and hiring process for Charter School Professional employees including acceptance of applications for positions at the Charter School. All personnel selected for employment must be recommended by the Superintendent and approved by the Board.
The Board adopts the following general criteria, which shall be utilized in the selection process for initial employment:
- There will be no discrimination in the hiring process due to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, or disability of an otherwise qualified individual.
- Candidates for professional positions shall be highly qualified and appropriately certified for and have the training necessary to perform the instructional duties or functions for which they have applied.
- Each candidate shall provide evidence of meeting state requirements for certification.
- Each candidate shall be requested to complete a consent-and-release form regarding conduct of a background investigation.
- A "background investigation" - consisting of communication with the applicant's (or employee's) former employer that concerns education, training, experience, qualifications, and job performance for the purpose of evaluation for employment - shall be conducted on each individual to be considered for a recommendation of employment. Forms developed for this purpose are to be used.
Any employee's misstatement of fact that is material to qualifications for employment or the determination of salary shall be considered by the Board to constitute grounds for dismissal.
Before employment, schools or school districts shall verify the certification and fingerprint status of applicants who apply for school or school district positions that require certification.
Upon recommendation for employment the District shall confirm employment authorization and employment eligibility verification by participating in the E-Verify program of the Department of Homeland Security's (DHS) U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Bureau (USCIS) and the Social Security Administration (SSA). The District will then complete the Form I-9 as required and maintain the form with copies of the necessary documents and documentation of the authorization and verification pending any inquiry.
A professional candidate's acceptance of a contract offer must be indicated within fifteen (15) days from the date of the written contract or the offer is revoked. Written notice of the deadline date for acceptance shall be included in the contract offer or an attachment to the contract offer. The candidate accepts the contract by signing the contract and returning it to the Governing Board or by making a written instrument which accepts the terms of the contract and delivering it to the Governing Board. If the written instrument includes terms in addition to the terms of the contract offered by the Board, the candidate fails to accept the contract.
This policy is only effective July 1, 2013 through June 30, 2014.
Adopted: June 25, 2013
LEGAL REF.: A.R.S. 13-3716, 15-502, 15-503, 15-536, 15-538.01, 15-539, 15-550, 23-211, 23-212, 38-201, 38-231, 38-232, 38-766.01, 41-1756