Section E: Support Services
Policy Title: Reporting of Hazards/Warning Systems - Pesticide/Herbicide
Policy Code: EBAA
Print Version (in PDF)
Notification of Pesticide/Herbicide Use at School
The intent of this policy is to ensure that students, employees, and parents/guardians receive adequate notice prior to pesticide application.
In accord with ARS §15-152, the District shall:
- Provide notice of pesticide application during a regular school session to students, employees, and parents/guardians, given in a form reasonably calculated to provide a warning at least forty-eight (48) hours prior to such application.
- Provide continuing instruction for students absenting themselves.
- Post the areas scheduled to receive pesticide application.
- Maintain written records of pesticide application.
Pest-control applicator(s) employed by the District shall provide the school contact person with notice at least seventy-two (72) hours prior to the date and time the application of pesticides is to occur, including in such notice the brand name, concentration, rate of application, pesticide label, material safety data sheet, the area or areas where the pesticide is to be applied, and any use restrictions required by the pesticide label. Prior to the application, the applicator shall provide the school contact person with a written preapplication notification containing the following information:
- The brand name, concentration, rate of application, and any use restriction required by the label of the herbicide or specific pesticide.
- The area or areas where the pesticide is to be applied.
- The date and time the application is to occur.
- The pesticide label and the material safety data sheet.
In case of pesticide applications performed for or by public health agencies or emergency applications because of immediate threat to the public health, the licensed applicator shall give the school office oral and, if possible, written notice, with posting of the area to be treated in accord with ARS §32-2307.
The Superintendent may require the pest-control applicator to fill out and make all required postings in accord with statute and with District policy and regulation. The name and telephone number of the applicator shall be attached to any posting.
The Superintendent shall prepare regulations for the implementation of this policy.
Adopted: December 19, 1995
Revised: May 18, 2006 (from Policy #3810 to EBAA)
Revised: August 28, 2012
Legal Reference: ARS §15-152