Section J - Students
Regulation Title: Head Lice Regulation
Regulation Code: JLCC-R
Print Version (in PDF)
Head lice are a common problem in the US contributing to absenteeism in school age children. They are spread by head to head contact and infestations can occur under the best sanitary conditions.
- The District will enforce a No Live Lice policy.
- If a student is found to have live lice, the student will be sent home for treatment.
- When an active infestation is noted and confirmed by live lice, parent contact will be made, preferably by phone and information will be provided through the health office.
- Student will be re-checked for any live lice on return to school.
- Students should be allowed to return to school following treatment.
- The student will not be denied re-admittance to school if nits (eggs) are present.
Reviewed: March 3, 2006 (Friday Report)
Revision: September 20, 2013 (Friday Report)
Revision: September 4, 2015 (Friday Report)
American Academy of Pediatrics
Center for Disease Control
National Association of School Nurses