Section I: Instructional Program
Policy Title: School Day
Policy Code: ID
Print Version (In PDF)
The normal school day for the instruction of the students of Tucson Unified School District shall be in accordance with Arizona Revised Statutes.
Each instructional day shall consist of not less than the minimum amount of time prescribed in A.R.S. 15-901 for each respective program level.
The Superintendent may close the schools, delay the opening of schools, or dismiss school early for emergency reasons and to protect the health and safety of students and staff members, shall prepare rules for the proper and timely notification of concerned persons in the event of such emergency closing, and shall in all cases inform the Board President as soon as possible.
As may be necessary for the purposes of submitting an amended school year calendar and excusing students from school attendance on the dates of a school’s closing the District shall apply to the Arizona Department of Education for authorization if the District excuses students from school attendance due to one or more of the following factors:
- Widespread illness for any period of three consecutive days or more.
- Adverse weather conditions for any period of three consecutive days or more.
- Concerted refusal by students to attend classes for any period of three consecutive days or more.
- Threats of violence against school property, school personnel or pupils for any period of one day or more.
- Situations affecting the safety of persons or property resulting from fire, flooding or floodwater, an earthquake, a hazardous material event or another cause if approved by the department of education.
Such application for approval shall be made as soon as practical under the circumstances.
Adopted: September 20, 2005
Reviewed: March 25, 2013
Revised: May 1, 2018
LEGAL REF.: A.R.S. 15-341 General powers and duties; immunity;
15-801 School year; school month; holidays
15-806 Excuse from school attendance
15-861 Four day school week and alternative kindergarten programs
CROSS REF: IC - School Year
ID-R School Day Regulation