Section E: Support Services
Regulation Title: Business and Personnel Transportation Services - Transportation by Employees
Regulation Code: EEB-R1
Print Version (In PDF)
Transportation by Employees
Tucson Unified School District employees may drive district vehicles or their personal vehicles to transport students and for District business for previously approved travel when required in performance of regularly assigned duties according to the following criteria.
- District Vehicles may be used by TUSD employees for school business only and only if the employee has a valid Arizona driver's license.
- Employees may transport students for school business only with parent/guardian permission and only with a valid Arizona driver's license.
- In the case of emergency, students may be transported by members of the School Safety Department or a Transportation Supervisor, even if parental consent is not obtained.
- Employees must follow all TUSD policies and regulations while on District business.
- Volunteers transporting or accompanying students or others on school business must complete the Volunteer Application Process with Human Resources and be approved by the Leadership Office to participate in activities.
- Any approved individual driving their own vehicle for District business must be approved by the Site Administrator. Personal vehicle insurance is required and will be considered primary coverage in case of claim. Insurance coverage must provide coverage greater than or equal to the state required minimum for car insurance.
- TUSD assumes no liability for use of employees' personal vehicle outside the course and scope of their employment or responsibility, or for activities in violation of this regulation.
Transporting children and/or families for District business
- Must have valid/current parent/guardian permission per student.
- Must hold a valid Arizona driver's license.
- Must ensure all passengers are wearing seatbelts and/or car seats as necessary.
- Must transport children in back seat of vehicle when possible, front seat should only be used if all other seats in vehicle are occupied.
Traffic and Parking Violations
The District assumes no liability for any employee cited for, or convicted of, illegally operating or illegally parking any motor vehicle used to conduct District business. The employee shall be personally responsible for any and all expenses, costs, penalties, fines, or other consequences which may result from such citation, conviction or arrest.
Reimbursements for Mileage
TUSD will reimburse employees for using their private vehicle on authorized trips only if the trip occurs within the course and scope of their employment or responsibility.
- Car pool when possible, specifically when more than one employee is traveling to the same event or location. When two or more employees are traveling together for authorized purposes in the same vehicle, only one mileage allowance will be reimbursed.
- A traveler will be reimbursed for mileage at the prevailing rate according to the Arizona Department of Administration.
- Each submission must have a completed mileage reimbursement form with employee's and supervisor's signature.
- Employees are not reimbursed mileage from home to their usual place of work or vice versa. If an employee is leaving from home to go to another place of work the employee is only reimbursed if the mileage is greater than their usual miles to work and only for the difference in miles.
- Submissions should be made once a month. Each submission should terminate at end of each month to avoid duplication in succeeding submissions. Final submission for the fiscal year shall be made no later than the second week of July. No mileage that occurred in one fiscal year can be paid in another year's budget.
- Employee must state specific destination on the mileage reimbursement form. Repairs made to a privately owned motor vehicle will not be reimbursed by the District.
Driver Permission and Restrictions
A valid driver's license must be submitted to the Risk Management Department and approved before any employee drives students, TUSD vehicles or claims mileage reimbursement.
All licenses will be verified by conducting an official Motor Vehicle Department inquiry and 39-month history report before driver permission is granted. After the initial license status check, regular periodic checks will occur to ensure district employees hold valid licenses. The following criteria will be used to determine driver eligibility if a license is valid, but infractions appear on the MVR history report.
Moving violations - consequences
Moving violations (such as speeding tickets and other driving violations):
- More than 6 points in a rolling 12-month cycle will result in loss of driver privileges.
- Any offense resulting in 8 or more points on a license will immediately suspend driver privileges.
- Failure to report activity on MVR record to supervisor, district or continuing to drive with more than 6 points in any rolling 12-month period or one 8-point infraction may result in termination of employment.
Administrative violations – consequences
Administrative violations (such as changes to license status, insurance, plates, or non-payment of fines, non-moving violations):
- Three or more administrative violations in 39 month period will result in termination of driving privileges.
- Failure to report activity on MVR record to supervisor, district or continuing to drive with more than 3 administrative violations in a 39-month period may result in termination of employment.
Any accident (no matter how minor) in a school vehicle or personal vehicle while on District business (regardless of location) is to be reported immediately to TUSD School Safety. School Safety will notify the Risk Management Department as soon as possible after the accident has occurred and injuries are stabilized.
Records and Reports
Auditable records shall be retained for one year after close of fiscal year during which reimbursement is being requested
Reviewed: July 28, 2009
Revised: November 14, 2014
Revised: April 10, 2015 (To Governing Board via Friday Report)
Revised: March 12, 2018 (via Superintendent)
Replaces TUSD Policy # 1030 Responsibilities of District Personnel
Replaces TUSD EEB-R-Business and Personnel Transportation Services
EEB - Business and Personnel Transportation Services