Section J - Students
Policy Title: Drug and Alcohol Use by Students
Policy Code: JICH
Lead Department: Academic Leadership
Print Version (in PDF)
The non-medical use, possession, or sale of drugs on school property or at school events is prohibited.
Students who voluntarily seek assistance from school personnel for chemical abuse will not be suspended from school and their confidence will be held in trust unless it becomes evident that withholding information may result in harm or injury to the student or others or a serious criminal offense has been committed.
- Non-medical is a purpose other than the prevention, treatment, or cure of an illness or disabling condition" consistent with accepted practices of the medical profession.
- For purpose of this policy - drugs shall include, but not be limited to
- All dangerous controlled substances prohibited by law
- All alcoholic beverages
- Any prescription or over-the-counter drug, except those for which permission to use in school has been granted pursuant to Board policy
- Hallucinogenic substances
Students who violate the provisions of this policy
- may be subject to warning, reprimand, probation, suspension, or expulsion, in accordance with the District's student disciplinary policies.
- may be subject to removal from school property and may be subject to prosecution in accordance with the provisions of the law.
Adopted: July 12, 2005
Reviewed: April 3, 2013
LEGAL REF.: A.R.S. 4-241 Selling or giving liquor to underage
4-244 Unlawful acts
13-3405 Possession, use, production, sale or transportation
13-3406 Possession, use, administration, acquisition, sale,
manufacture or transportation of prescription-only drugs
15-345 Chemical abuse prevention policies and procedures
CROSS REF JLCD - Administering Medicines to Students
Replaces TUSD Policy # 5507 Student Chemical Abuse