Section J - Students
Regulation Title: Admission of Homeless Students
Regulation Code: JFABD-R
Lead Department: Academic Leadership
Print Version (in PDF)
The school selected by the homeless student shall immediately admit the homeless student, even if the student is unable to produce records normally required for enrollment, such as previous academic records, immunizations, proof of residency, birth certificate, or other documentation. The new school must immediately notify the parent/agency that the student has the right to remain in the last school attended and that transportation will be provided.
The enrolling school shall immediately contact the school last attended by the student to obtain relevant academic, medical, and other records.
If the student needs to obtain immunizations, or immunization or medical records, the enrolling school shall immediately refer the parent or guardian of the student to the school nurse who shall assist in obtaining necessary immunizations, or immunization or medical records.
If a dispute arises over school selection or enrollment in a school:
- the student shall be immediately admitted to the school in which enrollment is sought, pending resolution of the dispute;
- the parent or guardian of the student shall be provided with a written explanation of the school's decision regarding school selection or enrollment, including the rights of the parent, guardian, or student to appeal the decision;
- the student, parent, or guardian shall be referred to the liaison for homeless students, Director of School Community Services, who shall carry out the dispute resolution process as expeditiously as possible after receiving notice of the dispute; and
- in the case of an unaccompanied youth, the liaison for homeless students, Director of School Community Services, shall ensure that the student is immediately enrolled in school pending resolution of the dispute.
- The registrar/office staff will immediately contact the liaison for homeless students, Director of School Community Services to determine if the student is McKinney Vento.
- Only the liaison will direct the school when a student is to be registered as McKinney Vento.
Reviewed: March 8, 2005