Section I: Instructional Program
Policy Title: Graduation Exercises
Policy Code: IKFB
Print Version (in PDF)
Tucson Unified School District Governing Board believes that completion of the requirements for a diploma from the public schools is an achievement that improves the community as well as the individual therefore the Board wishes to recognize that achievement in a publicly celebrated graduation exercise. Students should see this as a privilege that is earned to participate in a public ceremony for a grand achievement.
Graduation exercises will be held for students who have met Arizona State Board of Education and Tucson Unified School District requirements for graduation from high school.
Participation in high school baccalaureate/commencement exercises is encouraged but is not compulsory. However, since these exercises require planning, rehearsals and appropriate conduct, the following rules shall apply:
- Students who wish to participate must be present at the rehearsals. Failure to do so, except for legitimate reasons for absence, may be cause for excluding students from participating in the exercises.
- Students may not participate in the commencement exercises unless they have successfully completed the requirements for graduation.
- Students must wear the designated cap and gown which may or may not include a uniform sash. Students who are unable to purchase a cap and gown because of financial hardship will be provided one.
- Students who have earned honor cords by reaching a level of achievement in recognized school organizations may wear them during the commencement ceremony with their caps and gowns.
- No other adornment shall be worn with the hat or gown.
- Students must be in compliance with Board Policy – Student Use of Tobacco, Alcohol and other Drugs (JICG), and must not be in possession of or under the influence of alcohol or any restricted substance.
- Students must meet the standards of dress established by Board Policy - Student Dress (JICA).
- Students must be in good standing with the school. Students may not participate if they are under suspension, expulsion or other restrictive discipline imposed by school administrators in accordance with school and district policies and procedures.
- Students must have paid all fees and fines owed to the schools or have made appropriate payment or waiver arrangements with a school administrator. Students are not precluded from participation because of unpaid fees which have been waived.
- Students may be removed from participation in the exercises if they engage in any behavior that disrupts the event or which causes unnecessary distraction to other students, parents or visitors.
Students who do not participate in graduation exercises and who have completed all the requirements for a diploma may pickup their diploma from their school the following day or thereafter.
Adopted: March 8, 2005
Reviewed: March 6, 2013
CROSS REF.: JICA – Student Dress
JICG – Tobacco Use by Students
JICH – Drug and Alcohol Use by Students