Section G: Personnel
Policy Title: District and Staff Participation in Political Activities
Policy Code: GBI
Print Version (in PDF)
DISTRICT AND STAFF PARTICIPATION IN POLITICAL ACTIVITIES
- The district and persons acting on behalf of the district must not use its employees, equipment, materials, buildings, or other resources for the purpose of influencing the outcome of an election, except that:
- The district may distribute informational reports on a proposed budget override election and hold or participate in public hearings as provided in A.R.S. §15-481.
- The district may distribute informational pamphlets on a proposed bond election as provided in A.R.S. §15-491.
- The district may report on official actions of the Governing Board.
- As required by state law, the district will not spend monies for membership in an association that attempts to influence the outcome of an election.
- An employee acting as an agent of or working in an official capacity for the district must not give pupils written materials to influence the outcome of an election or to advocate support for or opposition to pending or proposed legislation.
- Employees must not use the authority of their positions to influence the vote or political activities of any subordinate employee.
- This policy and its administrative regulation will be construed so as to not infringe upon an employee’s civil or political liberties as guaranteed by the United States and Arizona Constitutions.
- Organizations or persons allowed access to school resources for purposes other than influencing the outcome of elections that violate this policy will have the access privileges revoked.
- Employees who violate this policy will be subject to district disciplinary action as set forth in Governing Board policy and accompanying regulations.
- As used in this policy, "election" means an election conducted by federal, state, or local government. This policy does not apply to an election conducted by student government or a private organization.
- The Superintendent has adopted administrative regulations GBI-R and administrative guidelines Restrictions on Political Activities to implement this policy in accordance with state law.
Adopted: August 16, 1960
Revised: February 16, 1965
Revised: February 16, 1971
Revised: September 9, 2008 (numeric to letter format only)
Revised: July 2, 2012