Section E: Support Services
Policy Title: Environmental and Safety Program
Policy Code: EB
Print Version (in PDF)
The Superintendent or designee will establish procedures to protect the safety of all students, employees, visitors, and others present on school property or at school-sponsored events.
The practice of safety shall also be considered a facet of the instructional plan of the schools by virtue of educational programs in traffic and pedestrian safety, driver education, fire prevention, and emergency procedures, appropriate for students at different grade levels. General areas of emphasis shall include, but not be limited to in-service training; accident record keeping; plant inspection; driver and vehicle safety programs; fire prevention; school site selection; and emergency procedures and traffic safety problems relevant to students, employees, and the community.
Responsibilities for maintenance:
- Maintain an overall safety program in maintenance and operation of buildings and grounds.
- Provide specialized assistance as requested by building administrator.
Responsibilities for buildings:
- Schedule regular inspections.
- Post required state and federal safety regulations and maintaining appropriate safety records.
- Arrange for the correction of defects reported to them by employees in the building by requesting assistance from the maintenance department.
- Correction of defects reported by the maintenance department or other school employees.
Responsibilities of employees:
- Report promptly to the administrator any defects in buildings, grounds, or equipment that might prove injurious to the safety, health, or comfort of students, employees, or other persons.
- Take reasonable precaution for the safe use of buildings, grounds, and equipment by students.
Responsibilities of students:
- Avoid the following behaviors:
- Setting off a false fire alarm.
- Misusing the fire alarm system, fire extinguishers, or other fire protection, and safety equipment.
- Setting a fire in the building or on the school grounds.
- Report promptly to the administrator of the school or other appropriate school employee any defects in buildings, grounds, or equipment that might prove injurious to the safety, health, or comfort of employees, students, or other persons.
Responsibilities of individuals utilizing school buildings:
- Refrain from abusing safety equipment, such as fire extinguishers, alarm systems, et cetera.
- Report promptly to the administrator or other school employee any defects in buildings, grounds, or equipment that might prove injurious to the safety, health, or comfort of students, employees, or other persons.
Adopted: June 28, 2011
Reviewed: June 24, 2013
LEGAL REF.: A.R.S. §13-2911