Section B: Board Governance and Operations
Policy Title: Board Meeting Agenda Preparation
Policy Code: BEDBA
Print Version (in PDF)
The purpose of this document is to describe the process and timeline for development of Governing Board meeting agendas.
The Board President has individual authority to place items on the Board's agenda.
Matters for discussion, consideration, or possible action, including study session matters, are referred to as items. Items may be placed on a Governing Board meeting agenda as follows:
- The Superintendent may place items on an agenda for a future Governing Board meeting, in consultation with the Board President, or
- The Superintendent shall place an item on an agenda for a future Governing Board meeting if at least two Board members make a request to do so. The particular meeting at which the item will be scheduled shall be determined by the Superintendent in consultation with the Board President, taking into consideration the anticipated length or number of other agenda items scheduled for particular future Governing Board meetings, necessity of and time needed to prepare for addressing the proposed agenda item, opportunity to discuss and take action on the item, attendance of persons necessary to address the item at a future meeting, and any other relevant factors.
- Any Board Member desiring to place an item on the agenda for a future Governing Board meeting may submit the particular item to the Superintendent through the Director of Staff Services.
- The proposed agenda item may be removed from an agenda if a Board Member withdraws his/her submission and, after withdrawal, there are fewer than two Board Members requesting that the item be on a future Governing Board agenda.
- Alternatively, if only one Board member requests that an item be placed on an agenda for a future Governing Board meeting, the Board Member may submit to the Director of Staff Services a Board Agenda Item Form stating the title of the agenda item and a brief description of the purpose for bringing this agenda item forward for consideration.
- Forms must be submitted no later than the end of the workday on Tuesday, a week prior to the Regular Board Meeting.
- The item with all supportive documentation will be placed under the section titled Board Member Requests To Schedule Board Agenda Items.
- The Superintendent will not prepare reports or any analyses other than an estimate of resources and timelines that may be required to develop the requests into study/action or information agenda items for consideration by the Governing Board.
- Public meeting Governing Board discussion and/or action will be limited to the purpose of placing the item on the next most appropriate agenda for consideration and action as necessary.
- If a majority of board members vote to develop the request into a study/action or information item, the Superintendent shall take appropriate steps to prepare reports, information, and/or analyses. In such case, the Superintendent will place the item on the next most appropriate meeting, considering relevant scheduling factors set forth in this policy.
The agenda and supporting materials shall be distributed to the board members three (3) business days but not less than twenty-four (24) hours prior to the meeting.
Copies of the agenda packet shall be available to the public and the press by 10 a.m. the day prior to the board meeting.
- The Superintendent will develop and distribute the Submission Schedule for agenda items for meeting dates approved by the Governing Board.
- The Superintendent's Office is responsible for maintaining a calendar of future board agenda items and for keeping the Board Office informed.
- At the end of each regular Governing Board meeting under agenda item "Future Agenda Items," a board member may propose future agenda item(s), with limited discussion. The discussion should center around the purpose of placing the item on the next most appropriate agenda for consideration and action as necessary.
Adopted: January 16, 2007
Revised: February 10, 2009
Review: January 12, 2010 [reviewed; no changes made]
Revised: June 22, 2010
Revised: February 22, 2011
Revised: March 27, 2012
Revised: April 23, 2013 [Readopted June 22, 2010 version]
Revised: March 8, 2016
Revised: January 17, 2017
LEGAL REF.: A.R.S. 38-431
CROSS REF: Policy # BEDB – Board Meeting Agendas