Applicants sought to fill vacancy on the Governing Board Audit Committee
Tucson Unified seeks applicants to fill one vacancy on the Governing Board Audit Committee. Committee members assist in assuring that the Tucson Unified Governing Board adequately complies with its fiduciary oversight obligations, help strengthen Tucson Unified's internal financial controls, and help provide greater transparency of the District's stewardship of tax dollars. This is a non-paid volunteer position.
Information and Application
The Committee's specific responsibilities and goals are:
- Review and appraise the soundness, adequacy and application of accounting, financial and operating controls.
- Ascertain extent of compliance with established District policies, plans and procedures.
- Ascertain the reliability of accounting and other data developed within the District.
- Examine the effectiveness of all levels of management in their stewardship of District resources and their compliance with established policies, procedures and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) or Government Accounting Standards Board (GASB).
- Appraise the adequacy of the action taken by management to correct reported deficient conditions; accept adequate corrective action; and continue reviews with appropriate management personnel on action considered inadequate until there has been a satisfactory resolution of the matter.
The committee meets at least monthly and reports to the District's Governing Board semi-annually, or more often as needed. Members have initial appointments of four years. All committee members are uncompensated and serve as volunteers. The committee will operate under conditions of the Open Meeting Law, ARS §§38-431 and 38-431.01. For further information, please see the Charter for the Governing Board Audit Committee (in PDF)
Public members of the Audit Committee shall, through education or experience, possess the knowledge in accounting, auditing, financial reporting, and school district finances needed to understand and evaluate the District’s financial statements, external audit, and the district’s internal compliance and implementation activities.
Audit Committee Applications
Applications should include the online application form (below), a resumé, references, and a letter of intent that describes the applicant's interest in working with this volunteer committee and experience related to the qualifications listed for Audit Committee members.
Applications will be accepted until the positions are filled.
Supporting application materials may be uploaded through the form below or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org, faxed to 520-798-8767, hand-delivered to the Governing Board Office in the Morrow Education Center at 1010 E. 10th Street, Building A, or mailed to Tucson Unified School District Governing Board, Morrow Education Center, 1010 E. 10th Street, Tucson, Arizona 85719.
The new committee member will be selected by the Governing Board upon receipt of appropriate applications.